Happy Christmas, New Year and Holiday to all.
At last I have a brief space of time to write about some of the wonderful
thigs I saw on my recent Myanmar (Burma) Textile study tour.  The main crafts
were weaving, mainly in workshops with large floor looms, and smaller ones in
the villages.  We also saw spinning of cotton and other threads I will deal
with another time.

We had gone a long way on rather rough roads to see an amazing cave in a
hill-side which was absolutely full of statues of golden Buddahs.  I was not
feeling well that day and found the cave very hot and stuffy, so came out
earlier than the others in the group.  A modern lift had been built on the
outside of the hill-side, with glass windows giving a lovely panoramic view of
the beautiful countryside.  At the bottom was a Temple where we had to take of
our shoes and socks.  After a while I got used to walking with bare feet.   On
the approach to the Temple a lot of stalls had been set up, with carved wood,
statuettes of the Buddha and many other things.  Suddenly I caught sight of
some TATTING.  What was tatting doing here??  I asked the price of a small
mat, and was told $20.  No way! I put it back on the stall and as I walked
away, the stall-keeper shouted $2.  So I turned back and bought it. I wish I
had not been feeling ill, as there were many other tatted items.

The group met up again and we got back in the coach and were taken to another
workshop where they made paper out of Mulberry bark and paper Parasols for
tourists and for the Monks.  Still feeling unwell, I sat and watched the man
making the parasol parts out of bamboo- he turned on a foot-lathe with great
efficiency.  It was not until we were back on the coach that one of our group
said she had seen some strange lace made with a pointed bobbin in another part
of the workshop.  Her description tied up with the tatting.  I was very
disappointed that I had not seen the young boy who was working.   I asked the
Guide how it was that tatting had come here, but he was more into the history
of the Temples than thread crafts.  He said it might have come across the
border from China.  I wondered if Missionaries had brought the art.  There was
no evidence of any other type of lace, bobbin or otherwise anywhere in the
country.

More tomorrow.

Angela in damp and chilly Worcestershire UK