I was always taught, by our dressmaker-teacher mother, my school dressmaking
teacher, and by my college teachers when I was doing a fashion course that all
buttonholes are done with buttonhole stitch.

This is a knotted stitch, worked by putting the needle into place and then
taking the thread from the eye down around the point before it's pulled through
so there is a second loop on the stitch.  When this is settled onto the cut
edge of the buttonhole it forms a sort-of knot, which makes the edge far more
hard wearing.  A tailored buttonhole has an extra thread laid aound the
buttonhole, from the straight edge around the rounded end and back to the
straight
end.  The stitches are worked over this and then it is pulled to make sure
there
is no stretch at all in the buttonhole, before being snipped off.  In the
round end of this buttonhole there would also most likely be a small hole
punched
before sewing, so the shank of the button had a space to sit in.

With proper hand sewn buttonholes, a horizontal buttonhole has a rounded end
nearest to the opening, where the button will sit but vertical ones have two
square ends to give extra strength and the button sits in the centre of the
slit.   A slot for a gathering tape such as in a waistband, has two round ends
because the tape slides through the slot rather than pulling against it.

Blanket stitch is the simpler stitch, where the thread just loops under the
tip of the needle on each stitch and is in the same family as fly stitch, chain
stitch and feather stitch.

Needlelace uses both sorts, but the books refer to them as buttonhole stitch
and twisted buttonhole stitch.  The basic stitches are blanket stitch and the
patterns are achieved by the different spacings.  Some needle laces however
use buttonhole stitches but because the stitch is being worked in rows not over
an edge, the extra loop around the needle forms a twisted bar on the stitch
instead of a knot.  Holly Point is one of the best known laces using a twisted
stitch.

Jacquie