Hi Bev and Sue,

I feel for you!  I've made two garters already and have the lace for the
third finished but not made up.

The first two were for friends weddings and this last but not least to put
away for a grandchilds future wedding.

Sue, I too found making a casing of gross grain ribbon for next to the skin
and satin ribbon behind the lace with elastic inserted between works best.  The
gross grain ribbon doesn't slide on the skin ( or on nylons) as much as
satin.  I also leave the elastic unjoined until I try the garter on the bride
(this
allows for mistakes in measurements).

I have two more garters for grandkids to make and use this lace making at
demos and the pattern I use is rather a mindless lace.

Mary in SE Michigan where its cold again today after a lovely 50 degrees
yesterday.