At 7:37 PM -0700 3/1/06, Carol Melton wrote:
Hello All, I am a little behind in reading my lace news so this is probably at the tail end of the discussion of 'sGravenmoer lace. On the weekend of Feb 17 - 19th, the Lacy Ladies of Arizona hosted a workshop with Susan Wenzel (Lacy Susan) teaching 'sGravenmoer. Everyone felt the workshop was very successful and we all agree Susan is a wonderful teacher. I don't know the technique of the half stitch well enough to quote how to do it right off the top of my head but I have finished my bookmark that we started in the workshop and it is beginning to come together in my head just how it is done. I think it is quite interesting how the pin is not closed until the next row worked and then it is not closed in the manner we have been taught. It takes a bit of looking at your lace while you are working it to begin to recognize how the threads lay on your pillow. I am fixing to wind some bobbins with colored thread (my first bookmark was in white and gold GoldRush) and try a new pattern. If any of your local guilds are thinking of having a workshop in s'Gravenmoer, do keep Lacy Susan in mind.
I want to echo Carol's endorsement of Lacy Susan to teach a workshop in 'sGravenmoerse lace. We had her teach at the CRLG last weekend in Maryland, and all enjoyed the workshop very much. Susan was patient about explaining and demonstrating the diagonal half-stitch several times, and showed us several other tricks as well, such as how to start and stop a variegated thread for the workers in a linen stitch trail.
The workshop was a wonderful way to spend a chilly weekend, and two of us finished our bookmarks on the second day (I was one of them). I am starting a new pattern this morning at my local lace group meeting. I plan on practicing this technique enough to be able to work the necklace that is in the 'sGravenmoerse jewelry book later this spring.
-- Mary, in Baltimore, MD [EMAIL PROTECTED] - To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line: unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
