Liz asked about Tambour. I am just finishing up an interview with Greet Rome-Verbeylen for the summer issue of the IOLI Bulletin which will feature tambour lace. Lier lace is one of the tambour laces - English Coggeshall and Irish Limerick laces are also worked with tambour techniques. (The needlerun version of Limerick lace is worked with a needle.) Lier lace originated in Lier, Belgium. Greet's book, Lierse kant oud en nieuw, has excellent technique diagrams and photographs of the lace. Several of the filling stitches are also documented.

In my opinion, the trick is to have a good hook - proper shape, no rough spots, etc. I had a "not so good" hook in the beginning for my class in Denver and I had all kinds of problems. Once I got a better one, the stiches were much easier.

Jo Ann Eurell
Urbana, IL