Another little tool I use and never saw reason to change...
When winding bobbins, I hang the pairs over the edge of a glass canning jar,
one in and one out.  I happen to have some  with the old (but now everywhere)
metal  fasteners..neat 'cause when I am finished and bobbin in use, I close
the top, thread and all to keep the inside clean.  Even the cat hair can't get
in there!!!!  Plus  the jar is cobalt so it is pretty.  Lknow that make bobbin
hangers, but this just suits me.
  I also inserted a crochet hook in an old retractable ball point
pen......long before they started selling them.
Barbe