Hello Jane!!

Your method makes PERFECT sense to me, having finally learned the Springett
method, and also being comfortable with the continental method for tallies.
Yes, elevating the passives would make it much easier to navigate the worker
through them, AND...  tensioning on either side is something I learned from
another participant at Christine's workshop, and really helps me keep the
tension even from one side to the other.  For many, your method may be just the
ticket!!

I'm constantly delighted with the power of this list - we cross-pollinate with
ideas, and everyone benefits!

Clay

--
Clay Blackwell
Lynchburg, VA

---- Jane Dobinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

=============
Hello All
A few years ago, I was determined to master making leaves and so chose a
doily pattern with leaves all around the centre.  I had been taught by a
Finnish lady and found her technique very difficult, especially now that I
have a bad thumb joint.  I decided to try Julie Nichol's method, the one
commonly used in England I think, where one holds the 3 bobbins in between
your fingers of your left hand and then works the "weaver" as if it were a
"shuttle".  I found it to be a real problem with my hand cramping so came up
with the idea of making a little "pillow" (4"x5"x1/2") of stryrofoam,
covered in fabric.  I set the bobbins on the "pillow" at the right angles
and then hold them in place with my left hand on top.  I can then easily use
my weaver to make the leaf since there is space between the bobbins and
pillow.  I've used this idea with all my students and they can make good
leaves from the start and get better the more they make. I teach them to
tension upwards at both sides.
Hope this makes sense - maybe will help somebody else who's struggling.

Jane
in sunny, mild Sault Ste. Marie Ontario