At 02:06 PM 3/7/06 +0000, The Browns wrote:

>For those of us who can't get to fishing shops, possible we could use  
>good eyebrow tweezers .Any thoughts?

I don't know about bobbin lace, but eyebrow tweezers are essential for sewing.  
I like the kind that are cut off on a slant, so that you can turn them over and 
use the corner as a point.  This kind is the most common nowadays.  (In my 
youth, tweezers were either cut off square or ended in a point -- the slanted 
tweezer is about as good as the pointed one for point jobs, and better than the 
square one for linear jobs, so the former standards have become quite rare.)


At 06:14 PM 3/5/06 -0600, Barb ETx wrote:

>  I also inserted a crochet hook in an old retractable ball point
>  pen......long before they started selling them.

I was looking around for a thermometer case to carry my #8 crochet hook in, and 
all of them were a tad too short, so I cleaned out a felt-tip pen -- one that 
had been used up by somebody else, so that I wouldn't try to write with my 
crochet hook.  (My pens are black, this one is white.)  I cut the point off 
with my pocket knife, then picked out the wick, blotted out the ink, and spent 
a week or two washing it -- I left it on the sink and shook, emptied, and 
re-filled it every time I washed my hands.  This was at least ten years ago, 
and I still have a #8 crochet hook at the bottom of my purse -- along with a 
cheap tatting shuttle and a ball of #10 thread.  The shuttle is also wound with 
#10 thread, but I make the picots big enough that I can use the pick attached 
to the shuttle instead of the crochet hook, which makes it possible to work in 
dim light.  

The hook comes into service most often for picking up stitches around the heel 
flaps of my socks.  I like knitting just as well as tatting, and I can use the 
socks -- I don't know what I'll do with the edging I'm tatting, should it ever 
grow long enough to go around something.  (Mom just stashed hers here and 
there; a few years ago my sister found a snippet of Mom's tatting while 
sweeping her guest room.)  (Mom always used "tatting cotton" -- probably #70.)  

I've also got a plethora of glass doilies and yarn covers, but like to have the 
crochet thread as a back-up -- and last summer I suddenly realized that there 
was an imminent need for baby booties while out gossiping, and was glad I could 
start crocheting right then.  Got them finished in time to leave them with the 
baby's great-grandmother, too.

-- 
Joy Beeson
http://joybeeson.home.comcast.net/ 
http://roughsewing.home.comcast.net/ 
http://n3f.home.comcast.net/ -- Writers' Exchange
west of Fort Wayne, Indiana, U.S.A.
where Spring has sprung, 
but I suspect that those tulips and daffodils 
are going to be sorry they stuck their noses out.

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to