--- The Browns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The one thing that no-one has mentioned in all the
> discussion going on  
> so far,is where do you start when you have a
> beginner to whom you wish 
> to  explain how to work a stitch...............

I probably proceed with a new person a bit differently
than the next person does.  Each teacher develops his
own system.

With a serious student, I follow the book we are using
for the beginning lessons.  It is usually the English
method, and Cross and Twist are defined and used to
explain the stitches.  A few lessons later, I explain
the existance of different terms and approaches.

Now -- with the Try Me pillow in public, forget all
that technical training.  I tell the person that we
use four threads to make a stitch. (Yes, I use that
term.)  "Cross the middle two threads to the right. 
Then cross each pair to the left.  Push one pair to
the side and take another pair.  Do the same thing
with these two pairs."  Then as the person is working,
I shorten it to:  "Middle to the right, both to the
left."  (Note -- No use of either C or T.)

A couple rows later, if the person seems to catch on
and is interested, I mention that we call the move to
the right, Cross, and the move to the left, Twist.  My
running instructions change to "Cross the middle to
the right, Twist both pair to the left.  Extra twist
on the end of the row.  Put in the pin.  Now do the
same thing back to the other side."

As the 'tryer' catches on, my dialog diminishes -- and
only has a gentle hint if he/she get confused.  The
local lacemakers generally use the Springett Snake on
the Try Me Pillow.  We start the pattern to the eyes
so the beads are attached, and then let peopl try it. 
The person who finishes the tail gets to keep the
snake.  At county fair, if we have one particular
child who has repeated come around to work on the
snake and has probably done half of it, we give it to
that child.

When one snake is done, we set up another.  We try to
have extra thread with us.  If we forget the beads, we
just make holes for the eyes.  Two of us try to keep a
Try Me pillow set up at all times so it's handy to
take to a demo.  It's also nice to have a few bookmark
sleeves on hand.  The snake has a better chance of
surviving being hauled around a fairgrounds if it is
protected in a plastic sleeve.

Hmmm....this message strayed a bit from the original
subject, but that's OK.  Demo season is coming soon,
and I need to check my snake pillow to see if it is
ready.

Happy lacing,
Alice

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to