I never heard of the difference between "Z" and "S" either until I read
Martina Wolter-Kampmann's book on threads. It is fascinating, and explains
*why* it helps to change the hitch on those misbehaving bobbins. ;) As I
said to Jenny about terminology, I tend to just "do it" and put a name to it
later... with threads, I just find a solution and go with it! But
Martina's book takes the mystery out of it.
As a handy tool to help me find the right thread for the project, however, I
prefer Brenda's (Paternoster) book, both for the way it's organized, and for
the fact that she covers so many modern threads and constantly adds more via
her website. (THANKS, Brenda!!)
Clay
----- Original Message -----
From: "CLIVE Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "David in Ballarat" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Jenny Brandis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "lace" <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 8:13 AM
Subject: Re: [lace] S/Z twist - was RTFM - should have know this!
Well put, Clay! However, I was taught, many, many years ago, to wind
clockwise and I had never heard of Z-twist and S-twist threads. Maybe
there were Z-twist and S-twist threads, but we never heard of them.
Hasn't made any difference in my lacemaking the past 29 years 'course I am
known to change the hitch of a misbehaving bobbin..
Happy Lacemaking,
Betty Ann in Roanoke, Virginia USA
----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
I know that there are two schools of thought on treating Z-twist and
S-twist threads differently. Some teachers insist that if you wind your
bobbins "properly", the twist is of no consequence. But I am a firm
believer (from my own experience with threads, relatively brief though it
is...) that if your threads usually behave, and suddenly you find
yourself with a "rogue thread", the chances are that you usually use an
"S" twist but have found yourself with a "Z" twist and are treating it
the same. (of visa-versa).
-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]