Somewhere deep in the arachne archives, if it's still there, is
another version of that line -  'lace: holes surrounded pleasingly by
thread'

How we've come a long way, 'lace' used to be exclusively 'cord' or
'braid' - the type needed to lace something together ;)

Then there is "bow'd lace" or a.k.a. "bow'n"  - not bone as in the
skeletal structure, but wrapped in bows, or what we now like to call
butterflies (and not wound on bobbins), as a way to keep the threads
from getting tangled while working the 'cords' 'braids' or 'laces'
:))
[source a handbook of craft instructions c. 1500]

On 6/2/06, Barb ETx <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Lace??? The definition I like is:
                      "Lace is air surrounded by thread."


  As the list is fairly quiet at present I'll ask the question "What is
  Lace?"
  It's something I discussed with my class a few months back so I've
  already got lots of suggestions and criticisms of several printed
  definitions.

--
Bev in Sooke BC (on Vancouver Island, west coast of Canada)
Cdn. floral bobbins  www.woodhavenbobbins.com
blogging lace at www.looonglace.blogspot.com

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to