Greetings Gentle Spiders,
 I am trying to put together some material for an Introduction to/
Demonstration of Bobbin Lace for our club.
I seem to remember from arachne several years ago the statement that at one
stage lace was worth up to 8 times its weight in gold.

Could anyone help please with the source of this quote?

Our club has some small scales used for dyes and fine threads.  My little
piece of silk Chantilly lace weighed 2 gm.  The price of gold is over 600US$
an ounce, so if this figure(8 times) is correct, the value of my lace today is
over 40 US$.
I wanted to touch on some of the history of lace and why laws were passed to
govern its use and sale.  This tiny piece of lace sitting on the scales beside
a portrait with a heavily ruffed collar would tell the story very succinctly,
I thought.  So if someone could give me a reference for this statement I would
be most grateful.
Thanks,
Joyce Moes
Lake Placid
(Cairns)  Australia
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to