On Jun 1, 2006, at 20:45, Whitham wrote:

Hello Lacemakers,

I was thinking about the lovely favors we get at lace functions and we have
never discussed them here that I know of.

So, I am posting a question........What is the most useful or best favor that
you have been given at a lace function and where did you get it?

I know it takes a lot of thinking and organizing to make these little gifts
and I thought they deserve talking about.

They certainly do, especially for large events. Lots of thinking ("can't be something that had already been done"), lots of creativity, lots of effort... And then, half the time, they're not appreciated. I'm very much not in favour of favours :)

This said, I've had some which I really liked. The fairy stones (pieces of rock, which nature forms in the shape of a cross) given out in Hasbrouck Heights (IOLI Convention) were one such "goodie". I scrounged a couple from other atheists at my table and sent them to my cousin in Poland -- she, her daughter and her granddaughter all adored them (they all wear crosses all the time and these were different from what everyone else in the village had).

Loved the pin (badge) with the names and logos of the organizing groups at the same Convention and the mug I got at the IOLI-Bethesda Convention, with the logo of the Chesapeake Region LG. But then I collect "stuff" (pins, magnets, whatever) with lace and lace guilds' logos. The tote I got at the OIDFA-Prague is a joy -- big enough to pack a pillow in, and it has a pocket. I use it all the time (though not to tote a pillow).

But the best/most useful favour I brought home from a lace gathering wasn't in a goodie bag (or a goodie bag). North Carolina Region LG has a custom of giving out "door prizes". These are not all more-or less identical for all attendees the way the items in the goodie bags are; these are usually "one-off" -- each is different. But, usually, everyone gets something. And, some years ago, I got a fake suede work cloth which I have loved to bits (pretty much literally <g>). I almost never use anything else now (have bought fake suede remnants subsequently and have a multitude of cloths, of different shapes and sizes as well as colours).

Yours, lacemaker-Cinderella (slightly overripe).
Back home from having had a 10-day ball in California. Arrived last night at midnight -- as in the fairy tale. With only one shoe on -- just ike in the fairy tale. Tripped on the staircase at the airport, trying to run "home" (DH waiting at the bottom) -- just like in the Disney film of the fairy tale. The result: sprained ankle, and balloon-sized foot, which no shoe (or sock) will fit. So I'm sitting here, the bare foot propped on a bolster pillow, peck-peck-pecking at the keyboard...

--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/
Lexington, Virginia, USA     (Formerly of Warsaw, Poland)

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to