From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Barry & Joyce Moes
Sent: 04 June 2006 02:05
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [lace] 8 Times its Weight in Gold

Greetings Gentle Spiders,
 I am trying to put together some material for an Introduction to/
Demonstration of Bobbin Lace for our club.
I seem to remember from arachne several years ago the statement that at
one
stage lace was worth up to 8 times its weight in gold.

Could anyone help please with the source of this quote?

Our club has some small scales used for dyes and fine threads.  My
little
piece of silk Chantilly lace weighed 2 gm.  The price of gold is over
600US$
an ounce, so if this figure(8 times) is correct, the value of my lace
today is
over 40 US$.
I wanted to touch on some of the history of lace and why laws were
passed to
govern its use and sale.  This tiny piece of lace sitting on the scales
beside
a portrait with a heavily ruffed collar would tell the story very
succinctly,
I thought.  So if someone could give me a reference for this statement I
would
be most grateful.
Thanks,
Joyce Moes