Among my collection of Singer sewing machine instruction books is one called
Singer Machine Embroidery.  In the foreward is says "It will be noted also
that in this treatise we are writing only of the ordinary Singer family sewing
machines, and do not deal with trade embroidery machines (sometimes referred to
as the Irish embroidery machines), as used in workrooms and factories......"
It isn't dated but from the style of work shown I suspect it is 1930s,
possibly early 1950s.

The book is divided into three parts, the first is work using the presser
foot and the second and third are without.  Within those parts the work is
split
into 25 lessons starting in part one with borders done simply with variations
on zig-zags and meandering lines, through applied braids, ribbons and wool.
Next similar borbers are worked with cable stitch (thick thread on the bobbin,
working on the back so the thick thread ends up on the right side).  Finally
applique with felt and American cloth and quilting are covered.  All
straightforward so far!

In part two the pressure foot is removed, (and the pressure on the machinist
increases) the fabric goes into a hoop, and now the book explains you will
need a treadle machine or one fitted with an electric motor as both hands must
be
free.  Starting with simple darning stitches the lessons rapidly take you
through drawing line pictures, background stitches (what we now call
'vermicelli') onto embroidery on net.  In passing it shows how to make a looped
edge very
similar to that on Carrickmacross lace.  On we go past shadow applique work,
monograms and 'tinsel thread embroidery' to 'wool embroidery' (couched in such
as way as to make the wool give a satin stitch like appearance without the
machine stitches showing) to more advanced quilting.

Part three is the degree course!  In this satin stitch is taught, ie zig-zag,
but remember these are straight stitch machines.  The zig-zag is done by
zig-zagging the fabric under the needle.  The satin stitch is shown worked in
leaf
shapes (over an under padding layer of stitches) and flowers and also used as
long and short stitch to give colour graduations.  Next is cording; satin
stitch worked over a cord outline and used both as a line in its own right and
for edging applique.  Getting serious now, the same technique is used for
Broderie Anglaise (you knew you'd find lace eventually if you were patient) and
for
edging what is simply described as 'lacework'.

The book assures me that "Lace stitches made with the aid of your "Singer"
are not nearly so difficult as might be supposed...."  As I have enough trouble
keeping my foot treadling while my hands are doing completely different things
(patting my head and rubbing my stomach is easy-peasy by comparison), I am
not convinced, but there are photographs of openwork fillings and 'workaround'
centres in circular holes.

All in all, every time I read through this book I am left openmouthed with
admiration for anyone who has achieved that level of control of their machine.

Jacquie