This is a fascinating thread..

My Mother had a singer treadle sewing machine, a jubilee model, which
she was able to put a motor on in the late 1950's, and it too had
(separately purchased) buttonhole attachment, which from memory moved
the fabric, not the needle.

My first sewing machine was a second-hand Elna, purchased from a friend,
who bought it off her mother.  It was the second model of the Elna
cam-type domestic sewing machines, and was a real work horse.  It was by
that time over 25 years old, and still going strong having sewn for a
family of four girls, and made canvas horse covers and sails!!.  It had
a knee controlled accelerator and did all sorts of stitches using a
swing needle technique.

I replaced it with one of the last cam-driven Elna's in 1980 or
there-abouts.  My "new" one is also going strong having clothed myself
and my family for the past 25 years or so.. Now it is down to repairs
more than anything, but I still enjoy it and have, in the past five
years made a couple of quilts using it.  Never again, I don't like
patchwork/quilting, give me lace anyday!!

Regards
Maxine from New Zealand

image001.jpg]