Thank you Bev and Jean, I have seen the demo but not tried to use it. I was bought Easy Lace by my husband but have not progressed very far. I think you are right, I need to decide on one or two things to try and keep playing and trying until I get the hang of the program. Thank you for all the lovely information and advice and I will definately work harder at learning how to use the program. Even if I just try to reproduce an existing pattern to begin with so I see how it works, after that maybe progress on to designs in my imagination, or variations of other patterns I like. I can't thank you enough. I'm afraid its not on the immediate weeks plan, but in the sometime soon slot, vbg Sue T Dorset UK

Hi everyone

While on the topic of lace design software - I thought I'd write down
some ways that I use my particular program (and I'm certain that the
other programs will do as much and more):
- for scanning an old pricking to make a more 'true' pattern. The
program doesn't do the true-ing; I draw a copy by sight, with the old
one as a comparison, sometimes on top of the jpg of the old one, or
beside the jpg, on the screen.
- for copying a pattern from one of my books where I don't want to use
a photocopier. I do this 'by eye' . It is handy if only a portion of
the pattern is wanted, and a new repeat created, or I want to make a
bookmark using the pattern repeat (or, I want to make an edging from
the bookmark design!). Or, I want to change the size of the original
pattern, such as to suit some threads I want to use.
- for drawing a pattern from a picture. I scan the picture, and set
the default to 'snap to none' then with the line tool,   the cloth
stitch tool, or the pindot tool draw on top of the picture where I
think the threads should take their paths.
- for inventing a pattern

Note that a 'lace design program' doesn't teach lace design. I have
fumbled along as best I can, and learned by experiment. A lacemaker I
know intuitively understands Bedfordshire laces, and frequently
designs them with her Easy Lace program. I love to 'make Beds.' but
have only succeeded in inventing one Beds. design with my program. I
haven't the faintest idea where to start to combine elements and work
the trails so it looks properly Beds., and not like a guess. But I can
whip up a point ground pattern or Torchon in jig time.

Copying a pattern by eye from page to computer screen is a good way to
start off understanding how a lace is structured, and also to figure
out the capabilities of the program.

If you are examining a design program for the first time, try every
tool, every menu, then draw a standard edging pattern that tests
drawing the footside, headside and ground. Some of the options won't
mean anything until you find a use for them. There are a few in Easy
Lace that I still don't use.

Find out how you would make a fan, a leaf and a spider on your test
pattern; how would you take a bit of it as a repeat, and 'repeat it'
in a new window - how you would delete some of it, then see if you can
able to 'undo'). Then ideally see if you can make a lace from that
pattern. Usually with the demo versions, you can't save a file -
saving and printing give you a lot of other options that you can't
test in the demo.

So, in other words, fool around with the program until you can see how
it might work for you.

hope this helps

Bev in Sooke BC (on Vancouver Island, west coast of Canada)
Cdn. floral bobbins  www.woodhavenbobbins.com
blogging lace at www.looonglace.blogspot.com