Hi Jenny
Both my husband and I have now made several wedding garters. The method I use for finishing them off is this. I use shirring elastic and run ribbon only through the middle section. The shirring elastic is carefully sewn along both edges of lace next to the middle, once stitched I then carefully pull up the shirring elastic so that the garter is gathered and then knot the ends of shirring elastic and cut off the excess (which I use for other things such as bobble ties for holding two bobbins together). I make sure that there is enough play for the bride to slip the garter on comfortably and if necessary the shirring elastic can always be tightened a little more on the day (I show her how to do it). The ribbon is purely for decoration.

Reports back from the various brides (one of which was me) is that the garter has been comfortable to wear as the shirring elastic is much finer than ordinary knicker elastic and it doesn't leave a mark. The garters have stayed up and felt quite secure for the entire day. Disadvantage, it takes a bit more time and effort to oversew the shirring elastic into place, but the effort is worth it and the garter looks good too, no bulky elastic to hide. A picture of one of our garters (and horseshoe) was in a fairly recent edition of The Lacemaker newsletter of the Lace Cirle, the one giving a write up about their 2005 AGM held in Norfolk.

Hope that this is of help to you.
best wishes
Nicky in Suffolk