I remember the Conference. It was held at a bible college. The rooms were very small and the lighting terrible. The beds were just dreadful and many of us ended up pulling the mattresses off the beds and putting them on the floor. A friend and I were sharing a room and we were almost at the end of the corridor of rooms. At about 5:00 or 5:30 a.m. people would start getting up and going for showers (communal bathrooms) and the water/air in the pipes would start banging. The only remedy was to turn on the water in the washbasin in the room. My mattress was across the end of my bedframe, across the door and under the washbasin. When the banging started I reached up and turned the water on until the noise stopped.

The conference courses were very good. I didn't do Torchon Torture but I know of others who did. Theory on the various stitches and grounds in the mornings and then putting the theory into practice in the afternoons (from what I remember). Because you needed to have finished each block of ground or new stitches many of the students in the class worked away late into the evening and were probably those getting up at 5:00 to continue.

I did Valenciennes with Pauline Collerette , a teacher from Quebec. She, sadly passed away 3 or 4 years later. I think I also did a lace identification class.

For someone with food allergies, meals were somewhat of a challenge as they were very "institutional" and it was hard to be able to get something acceptable. I ate a lot of ham and hard boiled eggs that week.

Malvary in Ottawa