Paper strings are tightly twisted strips of paper that
can be untwisted and opened.  Yes, the area of string
representing the petal or leaf is untwisted and
opened.  They have a crinkled appearance.  The ones
normally available in the USA  open about 2 inches in
width.  

The paper strings used with lace open about 3/4 inch
in width.  These narrow paper strings seem to be a
northern European product, as far as I can find out.

I searched for them a few years ago when I first got
the book with paper string patterns.  The only dealers
I found then wanted to sell me each color in $100
lots. Later there was one USA lace supplier who
imported the strings but has since discontinued them.

With the close connections that Canada has with
England and Europe, I'm not surprised to hear that
some store in Canada has imported this craft item.
There are no IKEA stores in my area to check out.

A couple years ago, when I was deep into the project
of making the conference decorations, a friend who
attended a large German conference with lots of
venders found the paper strings readily available in
many colors and brought some back for me.  So my best
suggestion for a source would be a dealer in northern
Europe.  

Happy lacing,
Alice in Oregon - with the sun shining again briefly

--- bevw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Indeed Ikea sells 20 m. spools of paper string ...
> Is this the same sort that is used for the lace I
> wonder?
> It seems to me the paper is opened up to make leaves
> or petals as
> required in the pattern. 

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to