We don't have a lot of fireworks around here this time of year but my neighbours said it with pots and pans and their voices. Oh, and the odd car horn. We do have four huge fireworks displays in the summer, put on by different countries, and last year when one started with a giant "BANG" at 10 pm my apartment, which is on the ground floor, was instantly filled with eau de skunk. The poor little fellow must have been right outside my window and severely startled. If you haven't ever smelled fresh skunk spray, thank your lucky stars!

I have spent some time this holiday trying to make a pattern of an old piece of lace from a photograph in a book. Does anyone have any tips for this? It's an early pattern (ca.1650) and is not made on a grid, so just getting some graph paper and drawing in the pin holes won't work. I have tried several methods over the years and none has succeeded - I don't know if it's lack of skills and technique or a simple lack of patience!

But I am determined, so what I have done this time is scan it and enlarge it so it fills the page, then I drew around the figures (it's one of the laces where there are several trails making up a deep scallop) and then I shrank the line drawing to what I think is an appropriate size for the lace. Now I've filled up 30 pairs of bobbins with what I think is an appropriate size of thread, and I'm going to try just making the lace freehand with the line drawing as a guide. It is quite a complex piece of lace and I don't know if I'll be able to do it but will let you know how it goes.

Adele
North Vancouver, BC
(west coast of Canada)