On 1/17/07, Karen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I always thought that mangling laundry was to squeeze it!
> Karen in Malta

Yes, that is what the process became - the wringer-washers for instance. The
industrial mangle was invented (17th C. or so?) to launder linen textiles -
it pressed excess water out and flattened it at the same time. Linen is
superior in strength, and responds beautifully to being weighted (pressed).
Some centuries later, our home laundry machines had wringers, two rollers
above the tub, in most cases, to get rid of excess water and to some extent,
flatten the goods, too. They still needed ironing though, to look properly
laundered.
--
Bev in Sooke BC (on Vancouver Island, west coast of Canada)
Cdn. floral bobbins  www.woodhavenbobbins.com
blogging lace at www.looonglace.blogspot.com