In a private post from Malvary (my sister) she made the comment

> Your question about Queen Ann Lace certainly generated a lot of messages
> but didn't really answer your question

Yes, I noticed that!  What I was more interested in "is there any way to work
out when plant names first became lace somethings", ie before that lace
wasn't a part of the public consciousness.  And although I was very interested
in
finding out that it may indeed be the Queen Anne in the book I'm reading, there
must be quite a jump from her courtiers saying "Oooh that plant looks just
like our Majesty's lace," and country people calling it Q A's lace.

So, are there for example, any ancient herbals (if that is the correct name
for the documents covering the use of plants) which pre date the development of
lace so they referred to plant x as one thing, whereas later ones (at some
point in the 1500s presumably) started calling the same plant as lace
something,
then that could be an interesting pointer for when a wider awareness of lace
left the courts and lacemakers and became part of general acceptance.

Jacquie