Hi everybody:

I am trying to figure out what type(s) of lace would be appropriate for an English lady's evening costume for the period 1796 - 1817. Does anybody have any thoughts? I know blonde lace was popular but I don't know how to make it and I don't have enough time to learn.

I am thinking about making some lace to trim a dress for the Jane Austen Society's annual conference, which takes place here in Vancouver, early in October. (Austen lived from 1775 to 1817; I intend a "Regency" look to my dress so that would put it in the later part of this time period) I do have two 5-metre pieces, one in Torchon and one in Old Flanders, and I think they're probably too late and too early in period.

The lace wouldn't need to go around the hem (no, I have no plans to make a 3rd "5 metre" piece ;-) - I'm thinking about something that would go across the bottom of a deep scooped neckline. Could I get away with making some Bucks Point or Tonder, or were those later on in period?

What do you think?

Adele
North Vancouver, BC
(west coast of Canada)