Dear Clay,
Yes, your figures are compelling... but consider also that some of those "lacemakers" were making shoelaces!

Now that's something I seriously doubt, for at that time, most shoes and boots were fastened with hooks and buttons (some of which ended up on spangles!! :)

Remember that lots and lots of wonderful old things are chucked into the trash each year when people die and their heirs are overwhelmed with disposing of the detritus of a someone else's life. And we have to take into account that the bone bobbins were the prized items... mostly, people worked with wooden bobbins, which are also plentiful. So I'm still skeptical when I see so many "antique" bone bobbins on the market. And certainly lots of them are genuine... but some may not be.

Fair enough, but I'm not.
David