Please bear in mind that my statements refer only to making Bucks Point lace. When I took classes on Bucks Point lace, I had this pattern as one of my lessons. I actually just worked the corner because in this particular lesson, my teacher was teaching me to start a piece of floral Bucks Point on a corner.

In my classes, I was taught that the purpose of the gimp is to highlight or outline a design. For that reason alone, I would not want my gimp to lay close to my design...and that may be why it is usually surrounded by twists in any piece of lace where it is used that way. As far as how many twists it needs, the general consensus at that time was that there should be one always (two was traditional), but if a stitch surrounding the gimp has more than one twist in the stitch, then the number of twists should match the stitch. With that in mind, when working point ground stitch, the bobbins will be twisted three times before passing the gimp through them...when working honeycomb stitch, there will be two twists. After passing a gimp through a pair of bobbins, the same rule would apply; entering point ground, twist three times, and entering honeycomb, twist two times. Twist once before entering an area of cloth stitch. As far as Pamela Nottingham saying that there could be no twists, I believe Mrs. Nottingham was referring to a time when there would be two gimps lying alongside each other. There should be no twists between them, so that there is not any separation there. I did a quick check through her book on Bucks Point to find this information.

Regarding which bobbin to pick up, I was taught that it is always the left hand bobbin. I had never heard of picking up the pair on the right side, but my lessons were accomplished while I was living in England, and at that time I was getting "intensive" training in English laces, so I had also never heard of the different European names for stitches, or different ways of working those stitches! I don't know if picking up the left hand bobbin is an "English" way of working with gimps, but this is the method described by Geraldine Stott in this book, so I would stick with it. It is also the method in most English books printed at that time...which is the time I was learning. In fact, I worked this corner before the book you are using was out of the printers.

Now, concerning the little pin hole under the one-pin circle... I am sure that if it is supposed to be there, it is there for support only, but you should also consider that it could be printing mistake. There is a pattern in 100 Traditional Bobbin Lace Patterns called "May" that has a pinhole error like this. I'm not sure that any support is necessary for a worker that is only passing through this one pair before it makes the edge stitch... so I would think it is up to you whether you ignore the pin or use it.

You have received so much good advice! This group is a wonderful resource, but always bear in mind that different areas use different terms and even different methods. Working lace differently does not make a method wrong. I hope you will not wait too long to get started on this wonderfully frustrating little design! Perfection is something to personally strive for, but not necessarily to demand from yourself. I have been told that when the Amish are working their needlework, that they put a mistake in on purpose because they believe perfection belongs only to God. I have not found the need to put one in on purpose, because I seem to leave plenty of mistakes accidentally!

Happy lacemaking!
Debbie in Florida  [EMAIL PROTECTED]