My thoughts on the subject -- a bit long, so delete at
your leisure.

> > 1) Winding bobbins
> > 2) Final sewing together
> > 3) Tallies (leaves, squares, triangles, any other
> type)

Hate???  None of these do I hate.  Each is a function
of lacemaking that needs to be learned.  When first
learned, each takes concentration.  If no one claimed
they were hard, they would each just be a step on the
ladder of learning -- on the way to the next step.

In the beginning, winding bobbins seemed to take a
long time because I was eager to work on the lace.  I
learned to wind with a string to greatly speed up the
process.  Now I find that winding under a yard is as
easy by hand as setting up a winder.  Though I am
known for taking bobbins to meetings and winding
longer amounts while listening to tedious discussions
at church.

The other factor on winding bobbins is that I have
several projects going.  I can wind bobbins at my
leisure for a future project.  I can pick and choose
my winding times.  When I had only one pillow, I had
to wind, etc, before I could again make lace -- thus
prime lacing time was spent on the routine chores.

The same thing with pricking patterns.  This can seem
like it takes forever if you're eager to get started
on the lace.  When planning projects in advance,
pricking can be done in small doses and at times of
your choice.

Tallies are cloth stitch variations.  I think there
may have been too much said about them being hard.
Sure -- perfect shapes take practice but you can make
acceptable ones a lot sooner than the acclaimed 1000.
Use temporary pins at the corners of your square
tallies until you get the feel of it.  Have the worker
end on the opposite side than it started.  Leaf
tallies are controlled by the angles of your edge
passives.  Set up a practice pillow with two pair and
just try using different angles.  Keep the angle
consistent the entire tally.

Sewing together is a necessary skill.  It's not really
harder than other lace skills, just needing  practice.
  It's only done once on a project, if done at all.
We have to make a lot of lace to get a small amount of
practice on sewing amd finishing.

It also takes some time to learn the various methods
available to us.  It helps to just look at one pair at
a time and deal with it the best you know how.  Then
do another pair. Take a break, a drink, a walk -- then
do the next pair.  One pair at a time is not a big
chore.

I have to tell my finishing tale.  I made a hanky
edging that started and ended on a corner (though I
prefer patterns that start other places).  I did the
sewings all across it with one method.  The more I
looked at it, the more I disliked the result.  All the
knots were carefully unpicked.

I did the sewings a different way, cut the bobbins off
the threads leaving tails to weave in, and removed the
pins.  The sewn corner did not match the other three.
I finally figured out that one row was missing.

After a few days of muttering, I repinned the lace,
unpicked all the knots for the second time, tied my
bobbins back on all the cut threads, moved the
beginning lace over a row where it should have been,
did the missing row and tied off everything for the
third time.

Somehow, after that, other sewings have seemed fairly
easy.<G>

If you have read this far without falling asleep, I
think what I hate is my thread breaking right at a pin
with no tail.  And my thread running out a half inch
from the end of the project.

And -- most of all right now -- my left hand too sore
and weak to use.  One-handed lace is very slow but
I've done 5 inches of a rose and got the bobbins reset
to do another one.

Alice in Oregon -- hoping to get out of this hard cast
and into a brace this week.