Hi, all, and Devon,

Devon, you wrote:
... In my experience of judging, I have not been given any kind of guidance by
the fair. The previous judge, whom I helped for many years, was a very "seat"
of the pants kind of judge, applying "gut feeling" type judgements. I have, in
my possession, two different papers written
 about lace judging and how it should be done, including a point system.
Every  year, I conscientiously reread them, but they disagree. I don't know
that I
 have ever seen a written out description of exactly how the lace in the
IOLI's  contest is judged. Is there one? I would think that it would be a
tremendous  help if those who were being judged knew what the judge was judging
them
on, ie,  they had a copy of the point system to refer to. Of course, it would
be helpful  to the judge, too.

Now that I am reading about how many people don't put things into
competition because they think that they will be rejected because of some
deficiency
that they or their friends perceive, but that might not be on the  judge's list
of criteria, I wonder if there wouldn't be more entrants if these  things were
made clearer, and even changed from time to time with "emerging
sensibilities".
<snip>

Just an anecdotal fer-instance:  Many years ago, a friend of mine entered a
beautiful Torchon folding fan into a competition (a state fair, I think).  Her
fan was not absolute world-class in every way, and she knew it. But it was,
hands-down, the best piece of lace there, certainly it had involved the most
work.  Yet she only received a lesser placing, because she had joined broken
threads with knots, and the judge felt that that showed too little knowledge of
working techniques.

Now, weaver's knots are traditional, and, yeah, hand-made, too;  I've seen the
fan, and you have to really hunt around to find a knot, so they're nearly
invisible as well.  What was the problem?  Who knows, really?  This judge had
clearly been taught/ decided that knots were somehow sloppy workmanship, so
sloppy that they outweighed just about every other consideration displayed in
that contest's entries. And there was no way of knowing ahead of time that this
tiny technique would weigh so heavily.  It really makes you wonder.  And maybe
not try again (although my friend figured all this out and entered -- and won
-- frequently after that).

Maybe the big national and international lace guilds could write up model sets
of rules and standards, and make them known to other/any organizations looking
to sponsor lace competitions, especially non-lace groups. Though, really, there
are no easy answers to this one.  Good luck in your hunt for exemplars!

Beth