Gentle spiders,

I'd like to add 2c to the discussion on judging and competitions.

The judging criteria are not very important to me; while it's always fun to
win a ribbon, and the rufflier the ribbon the more fun, the real reason I
enter is to get handmade lace in front of people. How my piece is judged is
interesting, but I'm not put off entering by considerations of how it may be
judged. It matters more to me that I'm pleased with the lace; if a judge is
also impressed, that's all to the good--but a judge who marked me down for
some failure would simply be giving me something to think about, and I might
or might not decide I agree.

I know it can be difficult for some people to be criticized, especially if
they don't agree with the criticism, but if lacemakers can set this aside
and simply put their lace out to be appreciated by the public, most of whom
don't know or care what the judges are looking for, I think the exposure is
advantageous for our cause.

Just a few days ago, I had a phone call from a friend who had seen a piece
of my lace in the fair this fall. She hadn't known I made lace (!), and was
tickled to find she knew someone who did (although I did fail to convince
her to give it a try--so far.) She said she always goes to check out the
lace at the fair because she's so amazed at it. And that's why I enter,
regardless of judging and standards.

Love,
Julie E. in Seattle

[EMAIL PROTECTED]