This is a fascinating thread, and I just have to come out of my burrow
to post on this one.

The Rocky Mountain Lace Guild decided to run a class last year for our
interested members on judging.  One of our members conducted it, and we
had a couple of 'never judged before' and a couple of 'done it several
times'.  Those of us who have done it before and have our own system
found something new to learn and ponder.

Since our Guild supplies Judges to the Colorado State Fair each year
(and they love us because we volunteer to do it), we decided that judges
should at least have had some training on things to look for and how to
score it.

Most of us have used a numerical system with a maximum of 10 points for
each criteria an item is judged on (8 in all so a max of 80 points).  We
start with the view that a piece is perfect and deduct from there -
dirty lace, tatting that has ends left on knots, sloppy execution all
see deductions, along with things like inappropriate thread selection,
poor finishing and mouting, etc.  Highest number of points gets the
highest ribbon awarded - and not necessarily a first place if no entry
warrants it.  Our Judges also award the State Fair's Best in Show ribbon
and our own Guild donated and lace adorned Dorothy Names Memorial Ribbon
(to best or 2nd best in show - Judges discretion), and we also try to
find outstanding examples of lace in other classes such as Hardanger, or
on a dressed doll, and award a few honorable mention ribbons.

We have found that sometimes a simpler piece will rate higher than a
more complex piece because of higher marks in the execution of
technique/s category.  It shouldn't always be that a more complex piece
will win over a less complicated one.  Complexity of design is only a
part of the overall package in my view.  How well a piece is made is a
large part of the picture, and overall presentation is very important
too.

The last time I judged (and it's open judging at the state fair) my DH
was in the audience and told me afterwards that the lady next to him
(who didn't know he was related to me) told him that she like how we
judged each piece 1 at a time and on it's own merits (methodical),
rather than how the quilting judge just seemed to pluck one quilt up
from the stack and give it a first because she liked whatever about it
(seemingly random, in other words).  I thought this was a very nice
compliment which reflected well on how our Guild Judges operate.

Cheers,
Helen, in Denver