Hello,

We spoke of this book, some years ago on arachne. It's a wonderfull book. The tittle expalin all the storie . In XIX century in pays bigouden a lots of people worked in fish. (fishermen and canning factory). There was a crisis in 1902 and no sardine in the ocean more than one year. People were hungry and deaded. So sisters teached irish crochet to women, children and men. Everybody did it. There is a lots of pictures about. After, it was very fashion in Paris and cheaper than bobbin lace. Golden age in "belle epoque" time. The Irish crochet made in Pays Bigouden was very nice and very thin. I read that there is just few differences between irish and bretonne technic.

For the headgear : in pays bigouden it is famous. The old one (1900) is small : http://pageperso.aol.fr/tytudallelosq/cpa-page2.html
It was made in tulle : run lace usually.
After it was bigger and in 1933 : http://www.polytech.unice.fr/~nedelec/bzh/Coiffe/ it was the top after it don't move. It was embrodery on cloth (organdi in french). they cut it
Few breton women putted irish lace. The most was sell.
Some one are in net (like small fish net) and embrodery on it or run lace on it : http://filetsbleus.free.fr/costume/costumesociete.htm
http://www.bigouden.com/jeunesse/laennec/costumes/45/pencoif.htm

This is the book :
http://patch.canalblog.com/images/Img0002.JPG

In the past they didn't make bobbins lace in Bretagne. When people had money someone bought mecanic lace not very usually.

Sof in France with fog

bevw a écrit :
Hi Janice
I think your book title translates on "Of (about) the fish crisis and (to do
with) the golden age of lace" - quite a few laces were developed to give
some income to fisherfolk at a time when the primary resource of fishing
wasn't viable. Rosaline lace from the Netherlands comes to mind.
Possibly the crochet technique was developed for the same reason - if they
needed a quick lace that would sell; Rosaline too is quick to make if many
people are working at motifs and others assembling the motfis into collars
and cuffs for sale.

I also think that there was a variety of techniques used to make the
characteristic head-coverings, depending on who designed them and where
precisely they originated in Brittany.