G'day Friends,
I have a couple VERY useful little helpers. One is the electrical tool hackle plier which was recommended on this list some years ago (just prior to the swivel plier which comes from the same place).

The other is a bush walker's head lamp. When I first looked at these about 3 years ago they were quite expensive at around AUS$40. However, these days I see much cheaper versions at the weekly markets for only about AUS$5. This little lamp has been invaluable when I've been out bush with no power and as it's on your forehead, it points to exactly where you are working. It will work just as well when at home, but as the batteries don't last all that long it's easier to use my halogen lamp.

I also use the plastic pockets religiously, but mainly with cross-stitch and petit point when the pattern could be as much as 25 pages large. I keep them all together in one pocket with the thread colour chart on top. That way I can see at a glance which colour I am using. The actual page I am working on is on my desk with the highlighter pen beside it of course.

Another very handy hint I can offer to embroiderers is that when you are doing a fine petit point (say 40 sts per inch or more) and it's difficult to locate the spot to start a new thread, find the spot and then immediately stick into it a pearl headed pin. This pin will be quite a bit thicker than your embroidery needle and when removed leaves a visible hole - also very handy for a "bookmark" if you have to dash off to answer the phone, make a coffee or go to the dunny :)

David in Ballarat