In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes
>  At its peak, Redditch supplied 90 per cent of the world  market
>for needles.  

It might surprise you, but until fairly recently Studley (the area in
which the Forge Mill Needle Museum is - Redditch is the large town "next
door", so to speak) was the main producer of needles - I think the only
other country with needle production was Japan. At the time, I was
looking for size 28 tapestry needles, which I could not get (even in the
shop at the museum) here in the UK. Someone in the US kindly sent me
some, Clover brand, made..... in Studley UK! This is within the last ten
to fifteen years.

The thirty years, if I remember, was life as a whole - once they had
finished apprenticeship if they chose to become a needle pointer, they
lived for ten years, ie to age 30, choosing to earn as much money as
possible for their family to live on after their death than to live a
full life of poverty. 

>I found some interesting information in the 8 pages devoted to lace and  lace
>tools.  

Another connection between the Needle Museum and lace is the Visitor
Centre for Bordesley Abbey, which is on the same site. When we visited
whilst I was at college doing C&G Lace (late 1990s), and possibly still
there, they had on display (covered by a lift-up cloth cover to keep the
light away) a piece of Sheldon Tapestry. This stunning piece had an
edging of silver lace - all dating to the 1690s. If anyone is likely to
be going to the museum, it is well worth paying the extra to go into the
Visitor Centre. 

Before marriage, when I had my flat on the south side of Birmingham, we
used to go over to Studley as that was where the cattery we used was -
my eldest sister had her first house in Redditch - and also to one of
the old needle forges (with water wheel) which has been a pub and
restaurant for years - The Washford Mill - it has changed hands and
possibly breweries a number of times in the last 30 years, with
consequent ups and downs, we now go occasionally and wonder what kind of
menu to expect, but the building is much the same (there has been some
extension; I think when they moved the restaurant downstairs (and lost
the sweet trolley!), possibly about twenty years ago) timber framed and
reminiscent of Tudor building. At one point, we were last to leave one
evening and the (young) chef was discussing menus with the landlady
across the bar. We had had a superb meal, very well presented, (though
not expensive by any means). As we were paying I commented that it must
be good to have a free hand to put to use what he had learned at
college, to learn that he was totally self-taught, with most of his
ideas coming from TV's Ready Steady Cook! I often wonder where he went
from there. It is probably time to see what is on offer this year!

Talking lace and TV, has anyone else spotted the occasional channel ID
"4" on Channel 4 (UK) which is filled with a lace pattern?  
-- 
Jane Partridge

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to