Dear Ruth  (and the rest of the list!),

I think it's interesting to hear that you're a quilter.  I am also a quilter,
and tend to have "seasons" where I spend more time quilting than lacemaking,
and visa versa.

Over the years, I've been struck by the fact that nearly all of the lacemakers
I know have been very involved with needlearts for years.  I have also done a
lot of embroidery, smocking, and needlepoint.  For a number of years, I was
also very involved with miniatures (1" scale), and did some fine-scale
needlework there.

The first time I met Tamara Duvall, (about two months after I started making
lace) I was delighted to learn that she had also done miniature work BL (Before
Lace).  Now, all of these years later, I know to expect that someone new to
lace is bringing her own creative past with her!  Other ways that my lacemaking
friends express their creativity are in weaving, spinning, knitting, crochet
and tatting, heirloom sewing (which leads them to want to create their own
laces...)

I'll be curious to hear what others do in addition to their lacemaking!

Clay
--
Clay Blackwell
Lynchburg, VA USA