Dear Clay, and all--

I might be sent out of Arachne altogether for owning up to this, but what I did before I became a lacemaker was -- nothing to do with textiles. I was a practicing psychologist and psychoanalyst, and in my spare time which I had very little of, I was a writer (numberless short stories, and a novel [publ by Wm. Morrow, reprinted in England bu H. Hamilton, and into paperback by Avon]. I did, though, sometimes make my own clothes.

What I really did a lot of was: hanker. I dreamed of some day learning how to make lace. I had tried, at about age ten or twelve, to follow the description in the Children's Encyclopedia, in which they described how lace was made: threads wound around a design outlined by pins. Of course that didn't work!

When I came to live in Baltimore (age 50) I made friends with a famous weaver (Sylvia Pocock, now long gone) who confessed that she too had been wanting for years to make lace. We looked and inquired and left no stone unturned, and lo! we came upon an ancient lady, Elizabeth Kackenmeister (also a famous weaver) who knew how to make lace, and gave us one lesson a month when she came into this area for meetings of the organization "Twenty Weavers."

Ah, but once into it! I wrote to Doreen Wright; went to England to get lessons from her (the experience of a lifetime quite apart from the lacemaking!); got sent to Pam Nottingham, who taught me Bucks and changed my life; found Elsie Luxton and Cynthia Voysey... and all of that brought me into my real world, which is where I am now and have been since this story began.

It may be of interest to know that my son, a practicing cardiologist, ambled by my pillow one day; picked up a handful of bobbins as he passed by; borrowed a copy of Stott's lacemaking for beginners; and lo! again. A very presentable bookmark appeared.

Fun!

Aurelia
Catonsville, Maryland

I'll be curious to hear what others do in addition to their lacemaking!

Clay
--
Clay Blackwell
Lynchburg, VA USA