Hello Jane and everyone

I looked up 'pivot pin' in the Illustrated Dictionary of Lacemaking
(Alexandra Stillwell, ISBN 0-304-34145-2), and checked what Bridget Cook
offers in Practical Skills in Bobbin Lace (ISBN 0-486-25561-1) both books
have been out of print, the latter might be available again. Both books
offer helpful suggestions. If you are thinking of investing in either or
both - the first covers a range of lacemaking terms, the second is concerned
with bobbin lace only, per the title.

so, the pivot pin:
Yes, that is a lot of thread around one pin, however, it can be done.
Work across the first pass, twist the weaver pair once or twice, then pass
the weaver pair under the inside passive before the pin (let's call it X) -
don't weave (e.g. CTC) through it. That reduces bulk already.
On the next row, heading towards the pivot pin again, take weaver pair over
the inside passive X, around the pivot pin, twist, take weaver pair under
passive X, and continue in usual weaving to the outside edge; repeat.

So, at the pivot pin always you are lifting weaver pair over or under
passive X, not weaving through it as with the other passives.

When do you remove the pin: Every few passes, take the pivot pin out and
tension the pairs, allowing the loops to settle in close to each other.
On the last pass, after lifting weaver pair over passive pair X, go around
the pin and twist, now weave through passive X to end the turn.
That first and last weaving through X bookends the loops. Take the pin out
for the last time, if you wish, when you have worked several more pins after
that.

I hope that helps.

--
Bev (near Sooke, BC on beautiful Vancouver Island, west coast of Canada)