As far as modern bobbin makers go, I am aware of a bobbin maker in England in the 80's who made ivory bobbins. He advertised in the Lace Guild magazine at the time, and made beautiful bobbins with an incredible finish. He even carved the bottom part that holds the spangle...into bells, hands, etc. His name was David Naylor. His bobbins had his initials inscribed into the top of the head of the bobbin.

Also, a Randy Anthony in Georgia did scrimshaw and for a time somewhere in the late 80's to early 90's, made lace bobbins. I do believe he even attended at least one IOLI Convention....He actually made flat sided square bobbins for awhile, before he started turning them into round shapes. He would make designs by request.

Debbie in Florida