Thank you for the information I have received from some spiders:-) all helpful in different ways. I now think part of my problems partly due to cotton threads and metalic together with an untrained hand. Obviously in this instance the silkiness of the silk would be an advantage not a disadvantage. Still I can practise lots more cant I there are so many fabulous patterns out there which appeal to my eyes. I have taken the fear of them away now, and already just working this piece has allowed me to see starting positions and features in other pieces that I couldn't understand until now.

Now to go undo the scroll and attempt to get it right this time.
Sue T Dorset UK

Hi Sue. I'm not a purist with my lace. Guiterman 100/3 is 'sewing thread' sized thread. I freely mix and match it with my other threads that came from sewing stores. Medeira is usually found in 30 or 50. One is a tad bigger and one a tad smaller than the 100/3, but if the color suits you, use it anyway. Most sewing threads are cotton 40.

I go by the colors I want, and use either cotton or silk in any assortment. 100/3 is silk. Medeira Cotona is cotton. Most sewing threads are cotton, rayon or polyester. Try to stick to the 100 percent cotton or silk. Natural fibers work best, usually.

Which is me trying to explain my question which is, what threads are closest to the gutterman in thickness for the future. I am plodding on and hope to improve with continued working, but without metalic threads in the future. It
has taken almost 2 years for me to actually jump in and do it,

Sue T Dorset UK