I've been reading "Masterpieces in blue", the new OIDFA book on the costumes of
the Schwalm valley area in Germany.  There is a quotation in it that created
questions.

Page 32.  The book had been commenting on the most common types of lace to be
found on the costumes.  It mentions Lille, Flemish, Flanders, Paris, and some
pieces that they weren't sure of.  Then there is this quote:

"Alfred Hock reports that, in the year 1859, the mayor of Neukirchen, L. Reidt,
wrote in a letter to the government that although good lace was made, it did
not look nearly as beautiful as the machine lace of the time.  It was known
that in the Schwalm people valued machine lace more than hand-made bobbin lace
because machine lace was expensive.  Machine lace was preferred because it was
much more even, and that was so although the hand-made lace was more durable.
Thus it is not surprising that machine lace is to be found on much of the
tradtional blue clothing."

I thought I had read/been told that machine laces became very popular in the
early 1800's because they were less expensive and more easily available, plus
being the latest 'new' fashion item on the market.  This is the first mention
I've seen of machine laces being expensive.  If this is true, it puts a
different light on the popularity of the early laces as a mark of money and
status instead of being a less expensive way of obtaining lace.

Does anyone know of any comments on the cost of early machine laces from other
sources?

This quote was interesting to read considering that the book is featuring the
hand-made laces on the caps and show-handkerchiefs.  There are a few pictures
in which the lace is not identified so it's possible that these are machine
laces.  Otherwise, machine laces are not mentioned throughout the book other
than quoted above.

Alice in Oregon