I don't recall seeing any responses to this post - maybe everybody else is flummoxed, too? I think it's part of a fishing rod - possibly you stuck a reed on the "spindle" part to make a full-sized rod - but I'm just going on my imagination and have no real knowledge.

I certainly can't think of any way this contraption could be used for lacemaking.

Adele
North Vancouver, B.C.
(west coast of Canada)

Any ideas on what this item is on ebay?

http://tinyurl.com/59c2ku

Item number 320292495309

described as: "Vintage Pimative wood lace maker spindle & spool reel"

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK