G'day Sue,

 So we felt we
needed to set up some guidelines to help the judges.  They need to be simple
and not to lengthy so thought a posting to Arachne would bring some good
ideas into us.

When I'm judging I look for some of the following:-
- immaculate cleanliness
- invisible finishing
- evenness of tension
- competency in technique
- originality of design (if appropriate)
- consistency of elements - picots, plaits/bars, spiders, fans, grounds etc.
- adequate number of bobbins thrown in and out for whole stitch or half stitch areas

Then after I've covered those aspects I would get into more subjective aspects:-
        - tastefulness of colour
        - presentation - mounting, framing etc.

Hope that is of some use
David in Ballarat