Thanks, but this is about the daughter, the Carmelite from Lisieux.

I'll post something about the mother (the lacemaker) a bit later today. She
is the patron of all my lacemaking.

Sr. Claire

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 7:11 AM, Shere'e <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> From the Patron Saints Index:
>
> Saint Therese of Lisieux
>
> Also known as
>  Francoise-Marie Therese Martin
>  Teresa of the Infant Jesus
>  the Little Flower of Jesus
>  the Little Flower
>  Therese of the Child Jesus
> Memorial
> 1 October
> Profile
> Born to a pious middle-class French family of tradesmen; daughter of
> Blessed
> Louis Martin and Blessed Marie-Azelie Guérin Martin, and all four of her
> sisters became nuns. Her mother died when Francoise-Marie was only four,
> and
> the family moved to Lisieux, Normandy, France to be closer to family. Cured
> from an illness at age eight when a statue of the Blessed Virgin smiled at
> her. Educated by the Benedictine nuns of Notre-Dame-du-Pre. Confirmed there
> at age eleven. Just before her 14th birthday she received a vision of the
> Child Jesus; she immediately understood the great sacrifice that had been
> made for her, and developed an unshakeable faith. Tried to join the
> Carmelites, but was turned down due to her age. Pilgrim to Rome at for the
> Jubilee of Pope Leo XIII whom she met and who knew of her desire to become
> a
> nun. Joined the Carmelites at Lisieux on 9 April 1888 at age 15, taking her
> final vow on 8 September 1890 at age 17. Known by all for her complete
> devotion to spiritual development and to the austerities of the Carmelite
> rule. Due to health problems resulting from her ongoing fight with
> tuberculosis, her superiors ordered her not to fast. Novice mistress at age
> 20. At age 22 she was ordered by her prioress to begin writing her memories
> and ideas, which material would turn into the book History of a Soul.
> Defined her path to God and holiness as The Little Way, which consisted of
> child-like love and trust in God. She had an on-going correspondence with
> Carmelite missionaries in China, often stating how much she wanted to come
> work with them. Many miracles attributed to her. Declared a Doctor of the
> Church in 1997 by Pope John Paul II.
> Born
> 2 January 1873 at Alcon, Normandy, France as Francoise-Marie Therese Martin
> Died
> 7pm Thursday 30 September 1897 at Lisieux, France of tuberculosis
> Venerated
> 14 August 1921 by Pope Benedict XV
> Beatified
> 29 April 1923 by Pope Pius XI
> Canonized
> 17 May 1925 by Pope Pius XI
> Patronage
>  African missions
>  against bodily ills
>  against illness
>  against sickness
>  AIDS patients
>  air crews
>  aircraft pilots
>  Anchorage, Alaska, archdiocese of
>  Australia
>  aviators
>  Belgian air crews
>  black missions
>  Cheyenne, Wyoming, diocese of
>  Fairbanks, Alaska, diocese of
>  florists
>  flower growers
>  foreign missions (1927)
>  France (1944 by Venerable Pope Pius XII)
>  Fresno, California, diocese of
>  Juneau, Alaska, diocese of
>  Kisumu, Kenya, diocese of
>  loss of parents
>  missionaries
>  parish missions
>  Pueblo, Colorado, diocese of
>  restoration of religious freedom in Russia
>  Russia
>  sick people
>  Spanish air crews
>  tuberculosis
>  Witbank, South Africa, diocese of
>  World Youth Day
> Prayers
>  Novena I to...
>  Novena II to...
>  Novena III to...
>  Prayer I to...
>  Prayer II to...
>  Act of Oblation to Merciful Love, by Saint Therese
>
> Representation
>  roses
>  Discalced Carmelite nun holding a bunch of roses
>  nun with roses at her feet
> Images
> Gallery of images of Saint Therese
> Storefront
> Commercial Links related to Saint Therese
> Poems by Saint Therese
>  My Song of Today
>  To Live of Love
>  Canticle to the Holy Face
>  Thou Hast Broken My Bonds, O Lord
>  Jesus, My Well Beloved, Remember Thou!
>  To The Sacred Heart
>  The Eternal Canticle
>  I Thirst for Love
>  My Heaven On Earth
> Additional Information
>  Book of Saints, by the Monks of Ramsgate
>  Catholic Online
>  Columbia Encyclopedia
>  Divini Amoris Scientia: Saint Thérèse proclaimed a Doctor of the Universal
> Church
>  Friends of Saint Therese
>  Google Directory: General
>  Google Directory: Online Biographies
>  Google Directory: Devotions
>  Google Directory: Essays
>  Google Directory: Shrines
>  Google Directory: Online Works
>  Inside the Vatican
>  Lives of the Saints, by Father Alban Butler
>  Lives of the Saints, by John J Crawley
>  Our Sunday Visitor's Encyclopedia of Saints, by Matthew Bunson, Margaret
> Bunson, and Stephen Bunson
>  Papal Homily at the Canonization of Saint Thérèse
>  Sacred Heart Parish, Waterlooville, UK
>  Saint Thérèse's First Communion
>  Saint Thérèse on her "King", her "Incomparable Father"
>  SaintCast - audio
>  Testimony of Marie of the Angels of the Sacred Heart
>  Testimony of Mother Agnes of Jesus
>  Testimony of Sister Geneviève of Saint Teresa
>  Vehementer exultamus hodie: Bull of Canonization of Saint Thérèse
>  Zélie Martin: A Mother's Heart
>
> Translate
> español | français | deutsch | italiano | português
> Readings
>  Saint Thérèse asks her father permission to enter Carmel
>  Saint Thérèse asks her Uncle Isidore Guerin permission to enter Carmel
>  Saint Thérèse asks the Bishop of Bayeux permission to enter Carmel
>  Saint Thérèse asks Pope Leo XIII for permission to enter Carmel
>  Saint Thérese on Prayer
>  Saint Thérese on Suffering
>
>
>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ----
> For me, prayer is a surge of the heart; it is a simple look turned toward
> heaven, it is a cry of recognition and of love, embracing both trial and
> joy. - Saint Therese of Lisieux
>
> What beauty? I don't see my beauty at all; I see only the graces I've
> received from God. You always misunderstand me; you don't know, then, that
> I'm only a little seedling, a little almond.
>
> Saint Therese of Lisieux
>
>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ----
> You know well enough that Our Lord does not look so much at the greatness
> of
> our actions, nor even at their difficulty, but at the love with which we do
> them.
>
> Saint Therese of Lisieux
>
>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ----
> O Jesus, Your little bird is happy to be weak and little. What would become
> of it if it were big? Never would it have the boldness to appear in Your
> presence, to fall asleep in front of You. Yes, this is still one of the
> weaknesses of the little bird: when it wants to fix its gaze upon the
> Divine
> Sun, and when the clouds prevent it from seeing a single ray of that Sun,
> in
> spite of itself, its little eyes close, its little head is hidden beneath
> its wing, and the poor little thing falls asleep, believing all the time
> that it is fixing its gaze upon its Dear Star. When it awakens, it doesn't
> feel desolate; its little heart is at peace and it begins once again its
> work of love. It calls upon the angels and saints who rise like eagles
> before the consuming Fire, and since this is the object of the little
> bird's
> desire the eagles take pity on it, protecting and defending it, and putting
> to flight at the same time the vultures who want to devour it. These
> vultures are the demons whom the little bird doesn't fear, for it is not
> destined to be their prey but the prey of the Eagle whom it contemplates in
> the center of the Sun of Love.
>
> Saint Therese of Lisieux, from Story of a Soul
>
>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ----
> Kneeling before the tabernacle, I can think of only one thing to say to our
> Lord: "My God, you know that I love You." And I feel that my prayer does
> not
> weary Jesus; knowing my weakness, He is satisfied with my good will.
>
> Saint Therese of Lisieux
>
>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ----
> Our Lord needs from us neither great deeds nor profound thoughts. Neither
> intelligence nor talents. He cherishes simplicity.
>
> Saint Therese of Lisieux
>
>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ----
> The practice of charity, as I have said, dear Mother [Mother Agnes, i.e.,
> her sister Pauline, prioress at the time], was not always so sweet for me,
> and to prove it to you I am going to recount certain little struggles which
> will certainly make you smile. For a long time at evening meditation, I was
> placed in front of a Sister who had a strange habit and I think many lights
> because she rarely used a book during meditation. This is what I noticed:
> as
> soon as this Sister arrived, she began making a strange little noise which
> resembled the noise one would make when rubbing two shells, one against the
> other. I was the only one to notice it because I had extremely sensitive
> hearing (too much so at times). Mother, it would be impossible for me to
> tell you how much this little noise wearied me. I had a great desire to
> turn
> my head and stare at the culprit who was very certainly unaware of her
> "click." This would be the only way of enlightening her. However, in the
> bottom of my heart I felt it was much better to suffer this out of love for
> God and not to cause the Sister any pain. I remained calm, therefore, and
> tried to unite myself to God and to forget the little noise. Everything was
> useless. I felt the perspiration inundate me, and I was obliged simply to
> make a prayer of doing it without annoyance and with peace and joy, at
> least
> in the interior of my soul. I tried to love the little noise which was so
> displeasing; instead of trying not to hear it (impossible), I paid close
> attention so as to hear it well, as though it were a delightful concert,
> and
> my prayer (which was not the Prayer of Quiet) was spent in offering this
> concert to Jesus.
>
> - Saint Therese of Lisieux, from Story of a Soul
>
>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ----
> Our Lord does not come down from Heaven every day to lie in a golden
> ciborium. He comes to find another heaven which is infinitely dearer to him
> - the heaven of our souls, created in His Image, the living temples of the
> Adorable Trinity.
>
> - Saint Therese of Lisieux
>
>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ----
> Since my longing for martyrdom was powerful and unsettling, I turned to the
> epistles of Saint Paul in the hope of finally finding an answer. By chance
> the twelfth and thirteenth chapters of the first epistle to the Corinthians
> caught my attention, and in the first section I read that not everyone can
> be an apostle, prophet or teacher, that the Church is composed of a variety
> of members, and that the eye cannot be the hand. Even with such an answer
> revealed before me, I was not satisfied and did not find peace.
>
> I persevered in the reading and did not let my mind wander until I found
> this encouraging theme: "Set your desires on the greater gifts. And I will
> not show you the way which surpasses all others." For the Apostle insists
> that the greater gifts are nothing at all without love and that this same
> love is surely the best path leading directly to God. At length I had found
> peace of mind.
>
> Love appeared to me to be the hinge for my vocation. Indeed, I knew that
> the
> Church had a body composed of various members, but in this body the
> necessary and more noble member was not lacking; I knew that the Church had
> a heart and that such a heart appeared to be aflame with love. I knew that
> one love drove the members of the Church to action, that if this love were
> extinguished, the apostles would have proclaimed the Gospel no longer, the
> martyrs would have shed their blood no more. I saw and realized that love
> sets off the bounds of all vocations, that love is everything, that this
> same love embraces every time and every place. In one word, that love is
> everlasting.
>
> - from the autobiography of Saint Theresa of the Child Jesus
>
>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ----
> Above all it's the Gospels that occupy my mind when I'm at prayer; my poor
> soul has so many needs, and yet this is the one thing needful. I'm always
> finding fresh lights there, hidden and enthralling meanings.
>
> - Saint Therese of Lisieux
>
>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ----
> Really, I am far from being a saint, and what I have just said is proof of
> this; instead of rejoicing, for example, at my aridity, I should attribute
> it to my little fervor and lack of fidelity; I should be desolate for
> having
> slept (for seven years) during my hours of prayer and my thanksgivings
> after
> Holy Communion; well, I am not desolate. I remember that little children
> are
> as pleasing to their parents when they are asleep as well as when they are
> wide awake; I remember, too, that when they perform operations, doctors put
> their patients to sleep. Finally, I remember that: "The Lord knows our
> weakness, that he is mindful that we are but dust and ashes."
>
> - Saint Therese of Lisieux, from Story of a Soul
>
>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ----
> Jesus set the book of nature before me and I saw that all the flowers he
> has
> created are lovely. The splendor of the rose and the whiteness of the lily
> do not rob the little violet of its scent nor the daisy of its simple
> charm.
> I realized that if every tiny flower wanted to be a rose, spring would lose
> its loveliness and there would be no wildflowers to make the meadows gay.
>
> It is just the same in the world of souls - which is the garden of Jesus.
> He
> has created the great saints who are like the lilies and the roses, but he
> has also created much lesser saints and they must be content to be the
> daisies or the violets which rejoice his eyes whenever he glances down.
> Perfection consists in doing his will, in being that which he wants us to
> be.
>
> Jesus, help me to simplify my life by learning what you want me to be - and
> becoming that person.
>
> - Saint Therese of Lisieux, from Story of a Soul
>
>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ----
> Oh! no, you will see...it will be like a shower of roses. After my death,
> you will go to the mail box, and you will find many consolations.
>
> - Saint Therese on 9 June 1897 after Sister Marie of the Sacred Heart told
> her we would be very sorry after she died
>
> -
> To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
> unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to