Judging from this website:
http://wmboothdraper.com/TapeLace/tapelace.htm
it seems to be a kind of twill tape with a chevron pattern, used for binding the edges of uniforms, etc.

It doesn't seem to be something worth strutting about, and certainly isn't what we would call lace.

Adele
North Vancouver, BC
(west coast of Canada)

I have found a reference to a footman .......strutting in "worsted lace"......

Have you any idea what that might be? I do not have any other information to add to it except perhaps an approximate date.

Brian and Jean
from Cooranbong, Australia