We touched on the subject of lace on hankies, and had reference to edging a
hanky with store bought lace.  Since we had new people on the List who have not
seen the previous discussions in the past, I wanted to review a couple things
about lace on hankies from previous discussions.

Lace can be made for hankies in two different ways.  One is the four cornered
square of lace that will like mostly flat when sewn to fabric. This is very
common now when we know we want a hanky and have more time to make it exactly
as we want it.

 The other method is to make a long straight edging, then gather the lace
around the corners of the hanky.  (Our archives will have our extension
discussions and directions for doing this.)  This hanky may not lie completely
flat when done, but does not take specially designed corners.  This was the way
lace was put on hankies way in the past when the lace was made one place, and
sewn to the fabric by a different person.  The lacemaker did not know the
destination of her lace when she was making it, so much yardage was made, then
adapted to the desired use by the purchaser.

Yes, the lace yardage could have been cut to make mitered corners but fine
handmade lace was seldom cut any more than absolutely necessary.  Lace was
re-used, and I would guess that one long piece was much more usable than four
short pieces.

Alice in Oregon  -- had a lovely day but two rain fronts are due tomorrow.