Liz said:

<Whenever I'm not sure if a word exists, I check the Oxford Dictionary of
Spelling.>

I often watch 'Countdown' - a TV programme where contestants make the longest word from 9 letters selected at random (they do get to choose how many vowels and consonants are in the selection). A lexicographer, who used to work for the Oxford English Dictionary, checks the validity of resulting words. Very often words that used to be hyphenated no longer are (I still refuse to use cooperation instead of co-operation) and many words are now a single word from the combination of what used to be 2 words. The Oxford English Dictionary (as dictionaries in other countries probably are as well) is evolving continuously as our use of words changes. So even if lace maker and lace making are/were 2 words, evolution means they can become one with usage, even though for a while both one single and two separate words can be used. They are even accepting some American spelling of words as being valid alternatives for the UK, eg capitalize instead of our capitalise.

As those of us who use these words are those engaged in the activity to describe what we do, I think it's perfectly valid for us to choose which version becomes the "correct" one, and eventually the other will die from lack of use.

We seem to be in favour lacemaker and lacemaking regardless of which dictionary we use.

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK