Hello Susan

I've been following the linen & metallic thread discussions with great interest. What sort of lace would be made with Goldschild linen aka Londonderry or Rainbow Gallery?? I have both in my embroidery stash & neither one looks too appetizing to me, i.e thick & bumpy.
Heavier Torchon probably - or Russian braid lace.

What sizes of Londonderry/Rainbow Gallery line do you have? I am trying to confirm that these are all the same threads, just with different brand labels attached. Goldschild usually quote both the metric Nm and the Linen NeL numbers (Nm is always a smaller number than the NeL)

I have some Danish linen that is much finer & more appropriate (in my mind) for lacemaking.
Is that Moravia 40/2? If so it's not Danish but from the Czech Republic. This is another case of the same thread getting different brand names. Jana Novak of Atelier Moravia in Denmark is Czech by birth but emigrated to Denmark as a young woman. However she sources her lace threads in the Czech Republic. I don't know who produces the linen; I think it goes back to the communist days when everything was state controlled and brands didn't exist, but some of my 'Moravia equivalent' linen came from another Czech lacemaker/teacher, Anna Hallikova, at one of the Lace Guild conventions.

The metallic threads Jana sells are also Czech, made by Texlen. Texlan make a bigger range of metallics than Moravia take.

As to metallics, Madeira Astro is a wonderful product & far superior to Kreinik blending filament, for use in embroidery.
Astro in Medeira threads just means varigated colours. Madera use the same description for their rayon and polyester threads. However, the only metallic which comes in Astro colours, as well as solids, is No 40. It's a wrapped thread which mans a strip of metalised polyester is wrapped around a core of rayon filaments. It's smoother than most of the twisted metallic threads but not so good if it's going to get a lot of friction (ie making sewings) because the outer wrapping strip can get broken to expose the core.

Another metallic that I have not yet seen mentioned is YLI, called Candlelight I believe, & it comes in a nice range of colors. It is a heavier metallic & would work nicely as a gimp for a tatting cotton weight thread in the ground.

There are lots of other brands of metallics out there too. Bart & Francis, Mez, Anchor, Presencia, Habu Textiles, DMC, Anchor ......

Brenda in Allhallows, Kent
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/index.html