Hello Susan

HV-Garn 40/2 isn't especially fine, 21 wraps/cm, but it does (or is that did!) come in a lot of colours. Assuming Londonderry is Goldschild; 50/3 Nm, which = 80/3 NeL is a bit finer at 24 wraps/cm, though the three plies will make it feel a bit sturdier.

I haven't seen Rainbow Gallery linen. All the Rainbow Gallery threads I've seen in UK are wound onto cards with perhaps five or ten yards depending on the thickness, so intended for embroidery as there isn't enough to do much else with. As it's Swedish I'm wondering if it's Bockens under another label! Rainbow Gallery sell a lot of Glissen Gloss threads on cards, and a lot of the Glissen Gloss threads I have are Madeira Gissen Gloss with the same names! It all gets so confusing! However, 16/2 linen is pretty thick - Bockens is 12 wraps/cm.

Brenda

The linen, well it isn't Danish at all--my apologies to the Danes--but Swedish! HV-GARN 40/2 in the most delicious shades of cornflower blue. The crazy quilter in me bought it because it was s-o-o-o lovely, but I've never used it. The Rainbow Gallery (made in Sweden) is 16/2 &, according to the card, is intended for cross stitch & needlepoint. They were received in a gift basket & I haven't used these either. The Londonderry is 50/3 & I must confess I bought it to dress my slate frame for Elizabethan work. And I know darn well there is some DMC linen floss in there somewhere, but it's hiding.

Brenda in Allhallows, Kent
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/index.html