Hello All,
sorry being so quiet but I am very busy at the time, but to this point I will tell you my experience. A bit more than two years ago I was lucky to get two design students to teaching lacemaking. The one was a glass designer and couldn't find a job so she tried to do something else and hoped with lacy things to make her living. She came regularly and started from the bginning on. She was quicker as other I had as students were. And after a while I remarked that she is left handed. So I got a shock and asked why she told me not immediately. She answered oh it's no problem I try to think things in the other direction. But it doesn't work with winding bobbins. So I learned for myself to do it as left handed and said her next time. Everything was ok now. I remarked that she didn't have own ideas and wasn't very creative, but she liked to learn more. When her husband came back from Spain where he worked for several years they moved outside of HH and so she couldn't come any longer. A few weeks later another young lady studiing textile design came to me to learn lacemaking. It was in october and she had the idea to make lace on her diploma work, which must be finished in january. She was pregnant and want marry a few weeks later. We started with the beginning stiches and worked out structures and so on. She was so quick and so creative. The diploma work was a piece of cloth starting with the underwear than the dress and a coat all this in one piece. And on each part more or less bobbin lace. Each part has another sort of tissue so the lace had to fit in structur and thickness of thread to it. The lace parts she drawed were nearly unworkable. But I tried very hard to explain her and we stated with the original. (I helped with working but you don't tell anybody, please psssssst) And we managed to be ready in time. She gave birth to her baby and I went to Australia. Coming back several weeks later she foned me and told me that her dress will be shown in museum and invited me to the vernisage.
She was right handed as I am.

Ilske from warm and sunny Hamburg in Germany
Am 08.04.2009 um 17:41 schrieb Mark, aka Tatman:

Sherry meant for this to go to the lace list as well. Her email below.

--
Mark, aka Tatman
blog: http://tatmantats.wordpress.com/
email: tatmant...@gmail.com

------ Forwarded Message
From: Sherry <celticdreamwe...@yahoo.com>

And since I am left handed....I use the right side of my brain more than the left....have you ever noticed how many of our past presidents were left handed. Being left handed myself I have a tendency to notice those things.
Even President Obama is left handed.
Does being left handed make it easier to catch on how to do lace and other
things with my hands easier? What do you all think?
  Sherry
celticdreamwe...@yahoo.com