Hello Nancy

For short lengths of thread, it's usually as quick to wind the bobbins by hand
as to use a winder. Unfortunately there's no really quick way to wind a large
number of bobbins.

Your next square probably will turn out better than the first - you'll have
learnt so much from doing the first one, and you'll be more confident handling
the bobbins and tensioning the threads.

Whether the thread ends really need darning in depends on the thread used, and
what use the piece is going to be put to - if the thread is springy and
slippery (so knots can't be trusted to stay tightly knotted), or the lace is
likely to need regular laundering, it really needs those darns. But if you've
made it with a fine soft thread that the knots will really "bite" on, and it's
never (or hardly ever) going to need cleaning you can probably get away with
not darning them in - the darning/glue is only there to make sure the threads
don't wriggle out of the knots and unravel part of the lace.

Beth