They look absolutely beautiful, the combs and the lace, somehow making the wearing look elegant and glamourous.

I made one up once for a competition, got 3rd, so obviously not too bad, <g>.
I have always been a lover of lace and lace in clothing.
Sue T, Dorset UK

Hi Janice and all,
The comb is part of formal dressing  related with religious ceremonies,
and or regional costumes (Valencia and Andalusia), and helps to stylize
the figure of the Spanish women when wearing mantillas. At the same time
helps to fix the proper mantilla too. The woman chooses the height of
the comb according with her own height or that of his partner if she is
accompanied.
I have found some links to pictures showing Spanish women of different
periods, wearing mantillas in a different ways.

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantilla

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Mantilla

Models of combs:
http://tinyurl.com/qrafgz*